RICHARDSON, Texas – Acts of sportsmanship in competition, on campus and within the community earned Conner Combs of East Texas Baptist University and Alisa Wilson of LeTourneau University recognition as the 2016-17 American Southwest Conference Fred Jacoby Sportsmanship Athletes of the Year, the ASC announced Tuesday (June 27).
The ASC Fred Jacoby Sportsmanship Award honors each year a male and female student-athlete who best display attributes of sportsmanship, leadership, citizenship and academic integrity in his or her athletic, academic and life pursuits. The conference Directors of Athletics present the annual awards.
A baseball student-athlete, Conner Combs (Southlake, Texas/Carroll HS) completed a Master's Degree in Business Administration during the 2016-17 year. Selected as the 2017 CoSIDA Division III Baseball Academic All-American of the Year and Academic All-America First Team, Combs was named the ASC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete of the Year award for baseball. He assisted with several projects through athletics and campus organizations and served as president of the East Texas Baptist Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. On the baseball diamond, Combs earned All-America and All-West Region honors in addition to selection as the ASC Player of the Year and All-Conference First Team citation. Combs is the second East Texas Baptist student-athlete to be named a Fred Jacoby Sportsmanship Athlete of the Year.
"Conner Combs has been a role model on the baseball field, in the classroom and in the community during his time as an ETBU Tiger,” Vice President for Athletics Ryan Erwin said. "We desire for all student-athletes, coaches and staff to exhibit a high level of sportsmanship and to be selected for this award shows the type of student-athlete Conner is and how he carries himself on a daily basis."
Combs led the team in batting average (.400), runs (54), hits (70), doubles (12), and stolen bases (18). Combs also tied for the team lead with 10 homeruns, and drove in 45 runs. Combs finished his ETBU career as the all-time leader in at-bats (638) and hits (216). He also ranks second all-time in runs (151), third in stolen bases (60), fourth in homeruns (32) and RBI (134), and sixth in doubles (35) and walks (71).
Listed is Combs Awards at ETBU
- 2-time CoSIDA D3 Academic All-America of the Year
- 2-time CoSIDA All-American 1st Team
- 2-time CoSIDA All-District 1st Team
- 3-time ASC All-Academic
- ASC Distinguished Scholar-Athlete designee (2016 – baseball)
- 2-time ASC Baseball Player of the Year
- ASC Athlete of the Year (2016)
- 2-time ABCA All-American 2nd team
- 2-time D3baseball.com All-American 3rd team
- 2-time ABCA & D3baseball.com All-West Region 1st team
- Inaugural HeroSports D3 “Hero of the Year”
- SABR Carroll Beringer College Division Player of the Year (2016)
- 2017 D3baseball.com Preseason All-American
- ASC Player of the Week (2016)
- D3baseball.com Team of the Week (2016)
- ASC Scholar-Athlete Medal of Honor (ETBU designee – 2016)
- 2017 ASC Fred Jacoby Sportsmanship Athlete of the Year